Friday 12 April 2013

Album Review: The Knife - Shaking The Habitual

Definitely near the top of my most anticipated records of the year list once announced I've been looking forward to a new album from The Knife ever since Silent Shout blew my mind way back in 2006, the surreal electronic pop music was simply wonderful, and when the day came for this albums release I turned my stereo up to 11 and was prepared to digest this album in all it's off beat glory. A departure/evolution of sound was to be expected on this album, you can hardly expect a band not to evolve in 6 years, however I found myself largely underwhelmed by this album. It's not that it isn't interesting, it is very interesting, it's just I don't think the core songwriting is very good with many songs hitting their peak way before they conclude. It's a good album, but it's not the masterpiece I was hoping for and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't even come close to the masterpiece 'Silent Shout' you may disagree and the is plenty to appreciate in this album but for me it's got the foundations to be a great album but it's chock full of filler & failed experimentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment